Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hospitality Upfront

     It's the last day of the month and I just thought that I will "pen" down my thoughts, for this will be the last post for this month. My anger has yet to ebb away, but, I wasn't going to talk about those two anyway. Now, I'm going to discuss here about my course. Bachelors in Hospitality Management. Unfortunately for me, I didn't actually do my research thoroughly before selecting this course.

     It's saying that I do have my regrets. However, my regrets are not that big to warrant changing my major or course. I can tell you that I just skimmed through the entire syllabus module, noting the hard and challenging subjects for me. Calculations. Anyway, that aside, I definitely did not bother about the other subjects. Assuming it was easy peasy.

     Boy, I was wrong. Hospitality is no easy shit, that's for sure. It's sweat, grit and your determination that will get you through. People have the misconception that we hospitality students do not have assignments. You guys thought wrong. We have loads of assignment. Yes, we do hands on stuff, but we can't escape from written assignments too. It sure is a handful.

     Let me give you poor sods what we went through last semester. We had housekeeping and front office practicals. Yup, making beds, cleaning toilets, etc. We were lucky I think. I don't know about the rest, but only 2 hours of housekeeping a week is more than enough to last a lifetime for me. Though the front office practicals are not enough to satisfy my curiosity and excitement. Then, we had restaurant practicals. We would alternate between service and kitchen duties every week. It was tiring as it usually takes up the whole day and if we were doing kitchen duty, we had to come in one extra day for mise-en-place (it's preparation before production).

     On top of that, we had to complete various assignments for different subjects. Even if we were doing practicals, written assignment was a must. It was crazy last semester. With 5 subjects we had to study for. Out of 5, we had 3 practical examinations. We were in pathetic conditions by the end of the semester. Never have I looked forward for semester break so badly in my life.

     With the end of that semester, it was the end of 4 days a week's 8.30am classes where I had to wake up at 5.45 every morning in order to get to class on time. It was also the end of going back home at 5.30pm for 3 days in a week. I was practically almost a hermit. Refusing to leave the house to meet up with friends for 'mamak' or even movies. Thank God it's over!

     This semester is so much better. 4 subjects and only 2 classes a week that starts at 8.30am and going back late only on Fridays! Yeehaw! I can hang out more with my friends. Watch television at least an hour a day ( I dare not even watch television on weekdays last semester when I wasn't too sleepy). Life is much better now for me. And this semester will be my last semester facing practicals. Yay! Glory to God indeed! Well, that's all for now. Got an essay pending and cafe advertisement to design.

Zooming and Fuming,
MaeQ

No comments:

Post a Comment