Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Royal Visit

     On the historic day of Tuesday, the 9th of March 2010, His Royal Highness, the Crown Prince of Norway paid our college a little visit. Him coming to college provided a little action and entertainment to the every day life of common folks like us. I can tell sincerely say that EVERYBODY was excited...okay, maybe not all, but the majority of us were. I mean, how often do you get to meet the heir to the throne of a country?

      HRH was quite a good looking chap in person. Very friendly and always smiling. And it's not fake mind you. You can feel the sincerity in it. His pictures all do not do him justice. He's just too good looking to be unhandsome. Unfortunately the Crown Princess, his wife could not make it due to unforeseen circumstances (it was rumoured that she wasn't feeling well). However, all was good in the college. HRH enjoyed his time -I hope- and everything went smoothly.

      Mind you, we had to hold little Malaysian and Norwegian flags and stand along the corridor to welcome HRH. It was like back in primary school during national day celebrations and stuff like that. Funny. For me however, the highlights of the day was the funny antics of my friends.

HA: Oooh...wave our flags.
DT: I LOVE DENMARK!
Everybody: *Stares* *Breaks out in laughter*
HA: DT, what are you talking about?
Me: *Laughs* It's Norway la, DT. Not Denmark.
DT: Oh, gosh. Uhm...I really meant Norway. I LOVE NORWAY!

      Mind you, above just one incident. It was funny for the few of us there when we heard that. DT is so absent minded at times. But he is a really nice chap. I mean can you imagine if he had say those exact same words when HRH was passing us? DT....DT. 
Another funny little moment was in the lift with 2 Norwegian guys who was at the event.

NG1 - Norwegian Guy 1, NG2 - Norwegian Guy 2
*Everyone scurries into the lift*
NG1: Hello!
HA: Hi!
Me: Hey.
HA: Where you wanna go DT?
DT: I dunno. Up to you.
HA: Go McD la...So long never go already.
DT: Okay la...
HA: You okay ar Me?
Me: Yup.
NG1: Going to McDonald's huh?
HA: Ya...after eating all this salmon I just wanna eat something unhealthy you know...
NG2: Ah, but salmon is good for you. Healthy.
HA: I know, but too much salmon is just .... (shivers)
NG1: You should choose health over all this junk food you know.
HA: I know. But right now I feel like going for unhealthy food that will kill me in 10 years.
NG1: You need a counsellor.
*Everyone laughs*
*Chef E from college enters the lift on the 11th floor*
CE: Ooh...smells like salmon.
HA: Ya lah...just came from salmon competition. *Pauses awhile* You know the best part of the salmon is?
*Norwegians smiled and said nothing and somehow I could guess what HA was going to say*
HA: The head.
*The smiles are wiped off the Norwegians faces*
NG1: In Norway, WE don't eat the heads. *The look of controlled disgust*
CE: *Still oblivious* Yeah, I like the eyes and lips parts.
*Lift opens*

      Yes, it was overall a good and hilarious day for me. I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet a royalty and I had fun with my college mates. And it's these little moments in life that makes me look back and smile at the memories with fondness. It was simple yet memorable. Moments like these don't happen every day, but when it does, it's worth everything we have.

For His Highness,
MaeQ

No comments:

Post a Comment